Le parc du Château de la Ferrière

A walk in the park

34 acres of  lawn, wood and wild thickets around the château. Follow the narrow paths under many Platanus planted in the 18th century, beeches, chestnut trees, sequoias, yews, ash trees, oaks and Lambert’s cypress.
In fallow lands in the boarders of the park, the “early risers” will meet uncountable squirrels, hares and roe deers…
Behind the castle, over 3 acres is the American Garden, designed and planted in 2008. A vibrant tribute to the American and Canadian soldiers who landed three kilometers away from our castle, June 6th 1944…
But it is also a tribute to the 30 000 french soldiers who trained in Bayeux in 1774, before crossing the Atlantic Ocean to fight under Lafayette’s order for the Independance of the Americans. It is the “Camp de Vaussieux”, a very important episode of the glorious French-American relationship over the last three centuries.
The fourteen “chambers” of the AMERICAN GARDEN contain a hundred of different shrubs and flowers all imported from America and from Canada. The United States take the lion’s share with Calycanthus, Liquidambar, Catalpa, Sassafra, tulip trees, Cornus Florida, Halesia Carolina, Aronia, Zenobia, Oxydendrons, Rhododendrons, bergamot, Franklinia, botanical roses from California, Montana, Arkansas, etc.

Chambre Bleue Chateau de la Ferrière

History

Built in 1735 for a Squire of king Louis XV, it became – from 1760 to 1789 – a meeting point for Nature lovers thanks to the famous botanist Moisson de Vaux, who created here an exotic garden with rare plants he had gathered all over the world. He introduced Magnolia in France, and Plantanus in Normandy and became an important figure of the city of Bayeux. Some of his trees are still in the park.
His two sons followed the destiny of two famous beauties of Napoleon’s court: Pierre married Madame Tallien’s daughter and Michel became Chamberlain of Queen Hortense, Joséphine de Beauharnais’ daughter. He followed her in exile throughout Europe until her death in 1837.
Under the reigns of Charles X and Louis-Philippe, the château was re-decorated by its new owner, Viscount Tousatin de Richebourg, an historian friend of Viollet-le-Duc.
Viscount Tousatin de Richebourg tripled the surface of the park, in order to include them in his lanscaped “à l’anglaise” park.
In 1870, the château was bought by Baron Issaverdens, french representative of Khédive Ismael Pacha, King of Aegypt. He was in charge of organising the King’s Incognito trips to Paris… During WW2, La Ferrière was occupied by the Germans.
On the morning of June 7th 1944, they fled, leaving the place to the Benedictine Sisters, whose Convent in Caen had been destroyed the night before in Caen’s bombing. They stayed in the chateau until 1958, creating a chocolate factory. After they left, it became a school.
It has become a family house again since 2007. With passion and patience, we are restauring it, bringing back its original beauty.